Ad Code

Monday, October 26, 2015

Starry Eyes (2014)

Director: Kevin Kolsch and Dennis Widmyer
Writer(s): Kolsch and Widmyer
Starring: Alex Essoe, Amanda Fuller, Noah Segan, Fabianne Therese




As great as Netflix can be (and I hardly even use it; anything that can keep my wife silent and entertained for hours at a time is good in my book), there’s one genre that’s sorely lacking:  Horror films.  Yes, I’m fully aware it has a couple classics, like Rosemary’s Baby, and The Exorcist, and a few passable modern horror films, but it’s mostly just a cesspool of direct-to-video junk.  It is for this reason that I largely stay away, and stick to the library, or other sources on the internet, when I’m looking for good horror flicks.

I was reading a list of the “Top 60 Horror Movies Streaming on Netflix” and, while Starry Eyes didn’t get so much as a single mention in the actual article, it came highly regarded by several users in the comments.  Considering any list that promises you more than ten great horror movies on Netflix is clearly lying, let alone one promising six times that, I decided to ignore the author, and go for the users’ pick.

The plot is straightforward, and breaks no new ground: A woman desperately wants to be an actress so bad, that she’s willing to do anything to get a part.  That’s pretty much it, in a nutshell.  Of course, bad things happen to her, or we wouldn’t have a horror movie; much of the stuff you will see coming.  A few of the things, you might not.

I thought the first half (give or take a few minutes) was enthralling; the focus on Sarah’s ambition was fascinating, and the acting was solid.  (I was also surprised to see Fabianne Therese, who I fell in love with (also figuratively) in the terrible TurboTax commercials that aired a couple of years ago.)  In fact, one of the things that surprised me most, is that this had the feel of a wide-released theatrical horror film, rather than one that’s only getting attention from its Netflix release.  It’s competently made, competently directed, well-shot, and, for the most part, well-written.  It captured my attention perfectly, and really had me guessing where it might go next.

Then comes the second half:  Sarah does something bad in exchange for being promised the lead in a film, and that’s when it all starts going downhill…and I don’t just mean for Sarah, but the picture in general.  That’s when it goes from a fascinating character study, to a by-the-numbers slasher flick.  I must admit, the deaths are nasty and bloody, and part of this section definitely appealed to the gorehound in me, but I couldn’t help but feel they were completely unnecessary.  I’m sure others will argue; they’ll say it was necessary to show her drive and determination, but I thought it was just a cheap tactic, like the writers had run out of any original ideas and just resorted to murder.

Even after this section, the movie just doesn't seem like it's going to stop, like a friend who keeps babbling on, despite having nothing to say (or, as defenders of the film will likely say, me).  We learn the origins of those that took advantage of Sarah.  We’ll think about how this happens every day; about how women are taken advantage of all the time, or, at least I think that’s all this was trying to say.  I thought about how this was not telling me anything I didn’t already know, or showing me in a way I had not seen before.  Let’s just say, by the end, I was glad it was over.

Despite its flaws (which mainly take up the entire second half), I still must say that if garbage like Saw 10 (or wherever we are with that one right now) can play in theaters, I have no idea why this one couldn’t.  Sure, I didn’t approve of the ending, or everything as a whole, but it was certainly well-made, and it was at least different from most of the repetitive, pointless dreck that fills theater screens.  But at least it’s getting some recognition somewhere.  That’s more than some movies ever receive. 

RECAP: The first half is fascinating, if not entirely unpredictable, but then the second half degrades into a thoughtless typical slasher flick; the gore effects are bloody, and well done, but they feel like a cheap gimmick when compared to the gripping first act.  Despite its flaws, though, it’s still a welcome addition to Netflix’s horror collection, which is short on even above-average horror fare.  If you’re into this sort of thing, it’s worth a watch.

SCORE: 6/10

TRAILER:

No comments:

Post a Comment