Ad Code

Friday, January 29, 2016

The Blob (1988)

Director: Chuck Russell
Writer(s): Russell and Frank ("Shawshank Redemption") Darabont, from a story by Irvine H. Millgate
Starring: Shawnee Smith, Kevin Dillon, Donovan Leitch, Jr., and Jeffrey DeMunn


I’m going to start things off here by regaling you with a boring story, so get settled in:

As I’ve mentioned before in other reviews, I led a rather sheltered life.  We won’t get too personal here, but let’s just say that growing up, it was only my mom and I.  Even though we were pretty broke, the most difficult thing about my childhood was that I was completely forbidden to watch R-rated movies.  So while kids at school would be chatting about scenes from the latest action and horror films, I was stuck watching television shows like “Diagnosis, Murder” with my mother. 

Well one day, when I was around 12 years old, I was at the local library with my babysitter, and somehow talked her into borrowing two R-rated flicks for me: The Blob, and The Best of the Best 2, a no-doubt terribly derivative martial arts actioner.  Upon taking them home and showing my mother, she was appalled…but I finally managed to talk her into a compromise—I could pick one of the two to watch, and then that would be it for a long time.

Looking back on that moment, I sincerely wonder if I made a fateful decision that day:  What if I had chosen to watch Best of the Best 2 instead?  Would I have become a fan of martial arts movies, and completely shunned the horror genre?  Needless to say I chose The Blob, was thrust into a world of graphic special effects, and fell in love with it right then and there.

Another brief tie-in before I move on to discussing the actual movie:  When I was a kid, I was a huge fan of Michael Jackson.  So my parents taped for me a special of his that aired on national TV.  I watched that show until it wore thin, memorizing all the lyrics and all of his dance moves.  Well during one set of commercials, there was a brief trailer for The Blob that played…even when my interest in Michael Jackson started waning, a couple of years later, I still rewound that tape and would watch the trailer over and over again.  Weird, especially considering no other horror movie preview had that effect on me as a child, but true. 

Anyway, just borrowing The Blob from the library again, almost twenty years later, already gave me a certain sense of nostalgia, and that was even before popping it into the DVD player.

There’s really no sense wasting much time on the story, because it’s really nothing new: Meteorite hits Earth in the small town of Arborville, releases a bizarre mass of mobile, slimy goo, which then eats anything in its path.  As it gains victims, it grows even larger, and before anyone knows what’s going on, it’s wreaking havoc in the streets (and sewers) of that small town.

Just like in every such fright flick, there are people that we cheer for.  Also like in every such movie, they are made up of stereotypical, familiar characters:  We have Brian Flagg (Kevin Dillon), the high school tough guy who likes to pass time by riding around on his motorcycle while drinking and smoking; Exhibit B is Meg Penny (Shawnee Smith), the all-American cheerleader who is one of the most popular girls in the school.  The two of them must band together after Meg’s first date with a popular jock ends in tragedy.

Blah blah blah.  It goes without saying that the blob itself isn’t the only thing that Brian and Meg are up against…members of a government agency also come to town.  It seems that the slow-rolling mass of slime was created as a biological weapon for warfare, and it quickly becomes evident that the agents are putting the safety of the blob ahead of Arborville’s residents.

Who really cares?  The real selling point of this film are the stellar special effects, which pull no punches.  I saw the original version (starring Steve McQueen before he got famous, and made way back in 1958) before this, and was expecting something in the same vein, with just a couple violent scenes to justify the R rating.  In actuality, this is a complete 180-degree turn from the original, which focused on story and went out of its way to keep the violence offscreen—this one revels in showing us all the gooey details of what happens when the blob overtakes its victims.  Even today, a majority of the effects are impressive, though they do suffer a little bit (while also getting more complex) during the obligatory final showdown.

The writing (this remake was written by director Chuck Russell, and co-written by none other than Frank Darabont, who would go on to direct both The Shawshank Redemption, and The Green Mile) is solid when it focuses on the small town of Arborville, which is so wonderfully cheesy that it wouldn’t feel out of place in the original version.  But once the government agents are introduced, it simply degenerates into standard genre fare and all the creativity is replaced by a second-half written on autopilot.

Still, the whole idea of a slimy mass slowly rolling through a town while killing people to get larger has always been a stupid idea in the first place, and this Blob never takes itself too seriously.  It’s violent—sometimes shockingly so—but it also manages to be surprisingly fun and laid back, with enough creative deaths to hold the interest of gorehounds. 

RECAP: This remake of the “classic” ‘50s horror film about a giant mass of slow-moving slime boasts mostly incredible special effects, which is the main reason you should tune in.  The first half features a majority of the graphic death sequences, and is by far the better part of the movie; the second half devolves into your basic “small town vs. monster vs. government agency”, and tosses its creativity—and its laid-back sense of fun—out the window.  Still worthy of your time if you’re a fan of this kind of “creature” feature.


SCORE: 7/10

TV SPOT (same one I watched over and over as a kid)

No comments:

Post a Comment