Ad Code

Friday, June 23, 2023

Glass (Roblox)

 

When it comes to gaming in general, I veer more toward horror games. Why not? It’s my favorite genre. But I’m also open to playing any game that I feel is different enough to warrant some attention. (Okay, who am I kidding? I’ve played my fair share of “simulator” games, some thanks to my child…and some not.) 


“Glass” is a game unlike any other I’ve seen on the platform. It seems to get its name from the way the enemies "shatter" when struck with bullets. From what I can tell, it’s basically a side-scrolling version of “Superhot” that brings the same main mechanics. You can walk, run, jump, slide and - most usefully - slow down time. But don’t let its appearance fool you: “Glass” also functions as a puzzle game. The way the bad guys are aligned at the beginning of each level often hints at a simple solution. This isn’t a run-and-gun style action game where you just blow everything to bits. Instead, it’s a thinking man’s shooter.


The introductory tutorial makes things seem easy.


The slow motion mechanics help to not only make things look cool, but give you a fighting chance. Especially in later levels, where the number of enemies increase, with some appearing out of nowhere from behind. 


The game is nearly flawless from an idea standpoint. Unfortunately, it has one major problem: the controls. The keyboard scheme itself is fine - I have no complaints. Mouse aims, shift runs, right click slides, left slick shoots, and space bar jumps; all pretty standard stuff. The letter keys (W, A, S and D) control the character. I prefer arrows, but given the limited 2-D range of movement, it’s easy enough. I’m terrible at aiming on the move, but it’s doable.


My issue is the responsiveness of said controls. I don’t know if it’s just limited to me, or if it’s a known issue (believable since it hasn’t been updated since 2019), but inevitably the controls just stop working as they should. This has happened every single time I’ve played. Sometimes it’s on the first couple levels, occasionally a little later. But it always happens.


This is as much a puzzle game as it is a shooter.


What’s frustrating is that it’s always the most important ones. The slow motion and sprint keys always work, as does player movement. It’s the fire and slide keys that are rendered useless at any given time. And what’s worse is that I can’t find a rhyme or reason as to when, or why, or how to fix it. Sometimes I’ll right click, and my character will fire his weapon. Or I’ll hit the fire button, and nothing happens at all. Generally, if I stand still and press fire repeatedly, it will eventually respond. The problem is, by then I’m generally dead.


I don’t understand it. Maybe the issue is with my computer. I use a laptop, so maybe the game has trouble differentiating between left and right clicks? If so, this would be odd, as it doesn’t happen in any other game I’ve played, Roblox or otherwise. It also isn’t an issue outside of gaming, which is what makes it all the more confusing.


So here’s my quandary: “Glass” is a one-of-a-kind Roblox game with massive control issues. How can I recommend that? I don’t know, but I am. It’s just too unique of an “experience” to pass up. When the controls work, it’s a wholly satisfying action game that’s one of the best on the platform. The shootouts - while brief - are exciting, and can lead to some truly epic escapes.


The action scenes are satisfying when the controls work...

But when they don’t - an all too common occurrence - the game becomes little more than a “suicide simulator”. And who knew watching your defenseless character die repeatedly isn’t nearly as fun as being the one causing all the havoc?


...and this is a familiar scene when they don't.


This is a potentially underrated gem that is ripe for a remake (or update).


Overall: 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment